Thursday, October 28, 2010

DAY 12


A picture of the town you live in....
So I searched and searched the internet and there is no picture of Rangely...just pictures of random buildings in town.....but Rangely is tiny tiny(everyone knows EVERYONE sort of town) so it would be hard to get a picture of the whole town...so here is a clip from google maps. Rangely is an oilfield town. The attractions are the Dinosaur National Monument,and Rock crawling. There is not much to do here and the locals find weird forms of entertainment (redneck??? i think so) Rangely consists of a few churches ( i can think of 5) 3 bars, 3 hotels, 3 gas stations, 4 restaurants, 2 liquor stores and a couple other buildings but that is about it. The only "chain" stores we have (excluding gas stations) are Subway and Family Dollar, the rest are locally owned.
Facts about Rangely
- its the smallest town I will ever live in
-from end to end the town is a mile long
-the town is 4 square miles of all land
-the population is right around 3,000 people on a good day
-it is 95% white, every other race is below 5%
-the median age is 31 years old (more men than women)


At first I hated it here, there is nothing to do for me, there really isn't any "culture" in this town at all other than "roughneck". I never thought that I would be living here or finding Mr. Right here. Since I have lived here, Rangely has grown on me. Don't get me wrong I still want out soon but for now it works. Since having Tavan I have realized that it isnt so bad to raise a kid here (eventually, provided we are still here, when Tavan is old enough to be out terrorizing the town with his friends, it will be hard for him to go somewhere where no one knows him. I will not only know his friends but his friends family, which is comforting to me), But I would prefer to raise him somewhere bigger where he has opportunities to try anything and more things to do than rub 2 sticks together to make fire for fun!

No comments: